Last week I made the switch from Windows to a Mac OS X. I’m definitely happy with the change, although one aspect gave me quite a bit of trouble: PHP gettext support. Now that AMO is localized (in 20 languages and growing!), gettext is required for a local installation.
To make a long story (involving MAMP, XAMPP, compiling PHP and Apache multiple times, and then back to MAMP again) short: MAMP should really include PHP compiled with gettext, as many other frustrated people have pointed out. During my battle, I asked others on the team that have been using Macs what they do for development. Some do all of their development in vim on a development server and others use a Linux virtual machine.
I had already written a basic .po string parser for the Localizer Control Panel, so I decided to make my own gettext emulator. The result is faketext, and MAMP + faketext = working Remora installation. It quickly parses .po files and will load a page in a specified language just as if you had the PHP extension installed.
Apparently there’s an inactive project called php-gettext that has the same idea but parses the binary .mo files instead. I didn’t try it because it would require many of the same modifications I made to work with AMO, and wenzel says it’s extremely slow anyway.
AMO faketext – save as config-local.php and drop in site/app/config.
Generic faketext – will probably require slight modification to detect the requested locale, as indicated in the comment at the top.